International Overdose Awareness Day 2020 – Compassion Not Judgement
LIVE SUNDAY 2 - 3PM
Jack Revell from Drugswrap talks the week in drug news with us.
Yarra Drug & Health Forum presents:
Decades of expensive prohibition and policing haven’t reduced the harms associated with drug use. Policies focused on reducing harms and understanding people’s complex needs have produced far more positive results. A compassionate approach means understanding complex problems and appropriately resourcing responses that actually work.
International Overdose Awareness Day (IOAD) is a global event held on 31 August each year and aims to raise awareness of overdose and reduce the stigma of a drug-related death. Originating in Melbourne 2001, the day acknowledges the grief felt by families and friends by remembering those we have lost, or those who have sustained a permanent injury as the result of drug overdose. Our minds immediately go to illegal drugs when discussing overdose, however alcohol and prescription medication are two of our biggest killers.
In honour of loved ones lost and dearly missed, our aim is to raise awareness and reduce stigma within our communities around this significant health issue.
Families and people with lived experience of the impact of drug overdose
- MC – Jason Vandy (Aaron Short Awareness Association)
- Mick Colton
- Cherie Short
- Debbie Warner (APOD)
- Prof. Margaret Hamilton AO
- Sam Biondo (Victorian Alcohol And Drugs Association)
- Sione Crawford (Harm Reduction Victoria)
- Dr. Nico Clark (Medically Supervised Injecting Room)
- Martin Foley MP (State Member for Albert Park, VIC Minister for Mental Health)
- Fiona Patten MLC (Northern Metro – Reason Party)
- Dr. Tim Read MP (Member for Brunswick – Victorian Greens)
- Alcohol Prescription & Other Drugs Family Support (APOD)
- Addiction and the Family International Network (AFINet)
- Harm Reduction Victoria (HRVic)
- Victorian Alcohol And Drugs Association (VAADA)
- Aaron Short Awareness Association
- North Richmond Community Health
- Family Drug Support